VMware vCenter Converter Standalone is a scalable solution to convert virtual and physical machines to VMware virtual machines. You can also configure existing virtual machines in your vCenter Server environment. Converter Standalone eases the exchange of virtual machines among the following products.
- VMware hosted products can be both conversion sources and conversion destinations
- VMware Workstation
- VMware Fusion
- VMware Server
- VMware Player
- Virtual machines running on an ESX instance that vCenter Server manages can be both conversion sources and conversion destinations
- Virtual machines running on unmanaged ESX hosts can be both conversion sources and conversion destinations
You can also use VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) images to create VMware virtual machines. The VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 beta includes the following new functionality:
- Preserving the LVM configuration on the source machine during Linux conversions
- Enhanced synchronization including options for scheduling synchronization tasks and performing multiple synchronization tasks in a conversion job
- Optimized disk and partition alignment and cluster size change
- Conversion data is encrypted between the source and the server
Within this community, you will find discussion threads posted during the beta phase. VMware is encourageing you to test the builds and add to these discussions or start new ones. Their forums are an important feedback channel and are closely monitored by product managers and development teams, so be sure to provide feedback wherever possible. VMware is looking forward to hear from you!